Tiles of Minnesota
"Legacy of Tiles"
Historic Tile Sites
Terra Cotta Sites
Restaurants with Tile
Tiles of the Twin Ports
Support the people who support the HTA
What's in it for me?
Historic Tile Sites of Duluth Minnesota and Superior Wisconsin
H1 - Glensheen East Duluth Map
3300 London Rd., Duluth, MN 55804
Built between 1905 and 1908 for Chester and Clara Congdon. Glensheen is an architectural and decorative arts masterpiece. The Jacobean Revival home was designed by Clarence H. Johnston, with interiors by William A. French and John Bradstreet. The house is a collection of styles, from Colonial Revival and Renaissance Revival to Arts & Crafts and early 20th-century modern. Filled with original furnishings and artwork, Glensheen also boasts a Rookwood-tiled breakfast room, nine tiled fireplaces including Grueby Faience, and much more. Owned and operated by the University of Minnesota Duluth. Open year-round; call or visit the website for days and hours.
H2 - Duluth Women's Club East Duluth Map
2400 East Superior St., Duluth MN 55812
Call Kathy Leteur at 218-724-3168. Open 10 am - 2 pm during the week.
Large tile fireplace with decorative graffito tiles in living room, bedroom fireplace, and foot square tiles in entry way. Originally the Alexander Hartmann home built by Architect Frederick Perkins in 1910. The Women's Club bought the house in 1924.
H3 - Prindle House - Duss Music Conservatory
East Duluth Map
2211 Road Greysolon Duluth, MN 55812
218-724-2052. Not open to the public.
The old Prindle House has fireplaces and floors of tile and mosaic. A room is on display at the Minneapolis Institute of Arts on the Arts and Crafts floor. Architect William Hunt 1905. Presently Duss Music Conservatory.
H4 - Ellery House B&B East Duluth Map
28 S. 21st Ave., Duluth, MN 55812
Accessible to customers. Call Jim or Joan Halquist at the B & B at 218-724-7639. The upstairs fireplace has pink flowers in relief all the way around with alternating pink and green tiles on the hearth. Bathroom tile with Eastlake-style gilded scrolls on top string of walls. Ellery Holliday had the house built in 1890. Henry Raeder, Arthur S. Coffin and Benjamin Crocker, Architects.
H5 - Immigrant House East Duluth Map
2104 East Superior, Duluth, MN 55812. Call Linda Paulsen at the B&B at 218-724-3090. This historic McCordic house by Architects Raeder, Coffi and Crocker boasts a Tiffany-style green glass tile fireplace with stylized flowers and stems.
H6 - Manor on the Creek B&B
East Duluth Map
2215 East 2nd St., Duluth, MN 55812
By appointment, call 218-728-3189. The Manor was lumber tycoon Charles Duncan’s residence in 1906, Peter Olsen, Architect. Grueby floor tiles in the breakfast nook, Tiffany-style fireplace, plus others, and very colorful wall and floor tiles in the pink and yellow bathrooms make this an amazingly diverse home. The B&B was the Catholic Diocese residence and now offers a taste of past luxury.
H7 - Cotton Mansion B&B East Duluth Map
2309 E. 1st St., Duluth, MN 55812
Sunday house tours by appointment, call 218-724-6405.
These B & B owners, Ken and Kim Aparcio, have restored this mansion to its former beauty. Joseph Bell Cotton was a liaison for the Rockefellers and the mining industry. Green Rookwood floor tiles in the sun room, Italian marble mosaic in the entries and bathrooms enhance the extensive Swedish wood carvings and trappings of this Italian Renaissance home. Architects Kees and Colburn, Minneapolis, 1906-08.
H8 - Matthew Burroughs 1890 Inn East Duluth Map
1632 East 1st St., Duluth, MN 55812
Presently a B & B. For an appointment call 218-724-4994. www.1890inn.com. Al and Kathy Fink are the owners. Home built by Great Eastern Clothes store owner in 1890. Architect MacMillan and Radcliffe. Three fireplaces including a Louis Sullivan.
H9 - St. Paul's Episcopal Church East Duluth Map
1710 East Superior St., Duluth, MN 55812
Open by appointment, call 218-724-3535.
This English Gothic church with a Moravian tile altar floor was designed by Bertram Goodhue and built in 1913.
H10 - Traphagen Home East Duluth Map
1511 East Superior St., Duluth, MN 55812
By appointment only. 218-728-3651.
Architect Oliver Traphagen designed and built this Victorian redstone in 1892. He included many fireplaces, some with Trent tile and an Italian marble mosaic entry. Howard Klatzky bought the house in 1986 and restored it to its former glory. His advertising firm resides there now. National Register of Historic Places.
H11 - Kitchi Gammi Club Downtown Duluth Map
831 East Superior St. Duluth, MN 55802
218-724-8589 Not open to the public.
Georgian and Elizabethan-style men's club built in 1912. Architect Bertram Goodhue. Has four original Moravian fireplaces.
H12 - Sacred Heart Music Center Downtown Duluth Map
201 W. 4th St., Duluth, MN 55802
Call 218-723-1895. Dr. Oos www.sacredheartmusic.org.
The beautifully ornate floors in front and in the foyer are United States Encaustic tiles from Indianapolis. This 1894 gothic brick church was the first Diocese of Duluth. Gearhard Tenbusch Architect. National Register of Historic Places.
H13 - Duluth Art Institute-Depot Downtown Duluth Map
506 West Michigan St., Duluth, MN 55802. Open daily, call 218-733-7560.
The Chateauesque Depot welcomed immigrants and travelers from the world over. It now houses the Duluth Art Institute, the Railroad Museum, and St. Louis County's Historical Society. Art Institute galleries show tiles and other art. Floor of Depot Great Hall has brick-shaped red tile. Peabody, Stearns, Boston, Architects, 1892.
H14 - Barnes - Ames Building Downtown Duluth Map
2 2nd St. East Duluth, Duluth, MN 55802. No public access.
Originally the boy’s YMCA, this building was built in 1916 and designed by German and Jenssen. It has two Moravian tile fireplaces on the first floor and foot square floor tiles, maker unknown.
H15 - Cartier Building - West Duluth Map
2631 W. Superior St., Duluth, MN 55806,
218-727-5992. Open but announce yourself to the
receptionist. This turn of century building is well kept and has a lovely 1" round and square ceramic mosaic floor with a snowflake design. Built in 1908.
- Tower Hall-St. Scholastica College Overview Map
1200 Kenwood Duluth, MN 55811, 218-723-6000.
Tower Hall foyer is a tribute to the Victoria Albert Museum with locally produced Nemadji tile floors in the entry and two adjoining conference rooms. There are also two lovely mottled tile fireplace surrounds in conference rooms. This Tudor building was designed by Thomas Ellerbe, and was finished in 1929. To reach Tower Hall follow Woodland Avenue uphill to College Avenue go left and follow College across Kent Road to St. Scholastica.
H17 - Fairlawn Mansion Superior Map
906 E. 2nd St., Superior, WI 54880
Overlooking the bay and Lake Superior is Fairlawn, the estate of industrialist and Superior’s second mayor Martin Pattison. Built in 1890, this 42-room mansion recalls the elegance and prosperity of Superior’s early boomtown days, as well as the mansion’s unique 42-year period as a children’s home. Various tiled fireplaces and floors. Open year round for guided tours, events, & private parties.
H18 Superior Trade and Commerce Building Superior Map
Hammond and Broadway, Superior, WI 54880
American Encaustic tile floors graced the entries to each of the top three floors of this 1890 Richardsonian building designed by Clarence Johnston. Henry Minot built the Trade and Commerce building in 1906 as the Superior City Hall. One of oldest buildings in Superior, it gives a glimpse of this thriving city at the turn of the 20th century when Minot moved lumber and iron ore out of the "north woods." Home to the North End Arts Council, many artists, the Red Mug Espresso, and other small businesses, the building was bought in 1985 and is undergoing restoration. The Duluth Pottery Superior Division and Tile Company can be found next to the coffee house. National Register of Historical Places.
H19 - Superior Old Post Office Superior Map
1401 Tower Ave., Superior, WI 54880 The lobby is an Italian marble tile mosaic. Federal Court room on top floor and "Judges Library" have puzzle piece-like, non ceramic, floors with ornate colorful designs. Built in 1905 and beautifully restored. National Register of Historic Places.
H20 - Nelson Dewey School Superior Map
611 24th Ave., E. Superior, WI 54880
Call Greg Billman at 218-729-7570 for appointment. Tiles by Batchelder-Wilson Company, Los Angeles, 1935. Fish pond with frog fountain spouts in original kindergarten, now community room in senior housing.
H21 - Dennis Gonsolus House
2321 East Pioneer Duluth, MN 55804
Call 218-525-1526 for an appointment.
Dennis has an amazing collection of coal stoves and tiles. His beautiful home, with a two story Rose window from St. Clement’s Church, is quite a setting for this collection. Follow Hwy 61 expressway northeast to McQuade Road. Turn left and head north all the way to East Pioneer (2321 East Pioneer).